dwelch wrote:

> Yes, but the _underlying_ problem is a communication problem, not an
> error in the code. We exaimined your patch, and it doesn't address the
> actual problem you are seeing (actually, the existing code in device.cpp
> is correct - no channel-id is supposed to be returned if an I/O error
> occurs. The fact that device.py may not handle this as gracefully as it
> could is another issue.)

Ah, I see.  I did not pick up on that.

> So, we need to determine what the real cause is. As Aaron has said, we
> have tested extensively with this device (using the most up to date
> firmware), and it works OK. So, the question is what else could be
> causing this? Could you try using a USB connection?

I plugged in the USB and then setup a queue for both the printer and fax
using hp-setup.  Test page printed fine.

Try #1:  I got a "fax device busy" message in the logs.  I tried to send
the same fax again and it caused my printer to reboot.  (This fax is
rendered from a plain text file a few lines long).

Try #2:  I waited until the printer rebooted, then the Fax was
successfully sent.

Try #3 and beyond:  I sent several test faxes and they all went fine,
except for the intermittent (status=1002) busy message that I would get.