Hello,

On Jul 24 00:18 Suffield, David wrote (shortened):
> Why would you use saned with a networked PS C5180? Since the PS C5180 is
> networked, you can use xsane from any PC without saned.

I do not understand this.
When a device is connected via ethernet, it is not sufficient
to run only a scanning frontend (like xsane) to access it.
When a device is connected via ethernet, it requires also to run
the appropriate scanner driver (here HPLIP/hpaio) on the host
from which it should be accessed.

Asssume there is a HP all-in-one device with ethernet connection
and there are several workstations in an office:

With saned it should be sufficient when HPLIP/hpaio and saned runs
only on one single workstation which is then the server for the
HP all-in-one device and on all other workstations only the SANE
net meta-backend runs so that users on the other workstations
could access the device.

> According to SANE Standard v1.04, when localOnly is true during
> sane_get_devices, no remote devices are returned. This means only
> USB/Parallel devices are returned.

Is there perhaps a misunderstanding what
http://www.sane-project.org/html/doc012.html#s4.3.3
should actually mean?

Of course on the one hand "devices directly attached to the
machine that SANE is running on" is very clear (i.e. explicitely
no devices with ethernet connection) but perhaps when it was written,
they might have had only in mind to use local_only==false to suppress
those SANE devices which are reported by the net meta-backend?

I ask because I cannot imagine a good reason why a frontend should
show only USB, SCSI and parallel port devices but not a device which
is connected via ethernet.

On the other hand I would understand why to suppress the SANE devices
which are reported by the net meta-backend: The saned frontend
is only interested in devices which are not already reported
by the net meta-backend which may be active on the same host.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex