Hi,

Thanks Hernan, your solution worked for me - nice job :)

> Why would you use saned with a networked PS C5180? Since the PS C5180 is
> networked, you can use xsane from any PC without saned.
Because there are several scenarios where it does not make sense to install
hplip on every single machine on the network. Just imagine the following
case:

A high school has several networked printers (LaserJets, OfficeJets &
Photosmarts), all of them on the same printer subnet. The clients are not
supposed to access them directly – they have to contact a CUPS-server, which
is connected to the printer subnet and the client subnet. CUPS checks the
printing quota of each user who wants to print and if the user is allowed to
use the printer (for example printing photos on a Photosmart).
The Photosmart however is located in a computer lab where the users need it
for remote scanning. To scan they contact the CUPS-server (with a running
saned).
The users are also allowed to bring their own laptops/PDAs with them and
connect them to a special guest VLAN/subnet where they are also supposed to
print/scan. In this case it is neither possible nor desirable to install
hplip on every single computer.

Dan