Hi John
Thank you for answer.

I went in the unpacked directory created during previous installation
attempt. I run the command ./install.py but the result don't change. The
installation lock just after I write the root password and hit enter.

Running your check in a terminal I get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] hplip-2.7.7]$ ./check.py -p

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. x.x.x)

Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 10.0

Copyright (c) 2001-7 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP

This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it

under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Saving output in log file: hp-check.log

Initializing. Please wait...

-Traceback (most recent call last):

File "./check.py", line 161, in <module>

core.init()

File "/home/giorgio/Desktop/hplip-2.7.7/installer/core_install.py", line
220, in init

self.version_description, self.version_public, self.version_internal =
self.get_hplip_version()

File "/home/giorgio/Desktop/hplip-2.7.7/installer/core_install.py", line
736, in get_hplip_version

'', sys_cfg.configure['internal-tag'], sys_cfg.hplip.version

KeyError: 'internal-tag'

[EMAIL PROTECTED] hplip-2.7.7]$

By the way before all I removed HPLIP 1.6.12 installed in my system and
I did it also before previous attempt.

Message for administrator: how can I avoid all that =20 at the end of
the rows of the message?
To answer the only way is to send an e-mail ? No way to answer
"directly" as in many other forums?