howdy everyone.
brand new to linux and trying to get my deskjet f340 working. i ran
the program for hplip, sh hplip etc etc. i choose automatic, i choose
my distro, i enter my password. then it tells me im missing 5
dependencies, the first being gcc. i have gcc installed. i checked, if
i type gcc it asks for an input file.

what can i do to fix this? before i realised i had gcc i was lookin at
their webpage and i am not sure how to install it.

also, is this bad?

Creating directory hplip-2.7.9
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing HPLIP 2.7.9 Self Extracting Archivehplip-2.7.9.run: line
343: cd: hplip-2.7.9: Permission denied

(those .....'s are in the terminal).

thanks yall.

--