On the HttpComponents front page it says:

"Jakarta HttpComponents project is charged with developing and maintaining Commons HttpClient. Commons HttpClient 3 series will be maintained until Jakarta HttpClient 4 is deemed stable enough to supersede it for use in production."

This text is indeed not very clear. I will add some more text to the front page to steer new users into the right direction.

Ortwin

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Yes, it does fix the problem. Thanks for the help. I remember reading that we
need to consume the entire response body (error or no error) so that connection
can be used (on the Sun side). It is confirmed here.

As far the second question about why HttpCore than HttpClient 3.1; I guess it
is about the confusion and lack of clarity (Jakarta side does not help much
too) - I am unaware which is the latest project which will be maintained in
future. My impression is it is HttpCore. I may be wrong here. While I was
waiting for a clue on HttpCore issue, I got things tested on HttpClient 3.1
too. I can use any of these two as advised. Socket reuse is my goal (since our
application talks to lot of network devices).

Once again thanks for the help.

--
This message was sent on behalf of [EMAIL PROTECTED] at openSubscriber.com
http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/httpclient-dev@jakarta.apache.org/5314835.html

[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/
[pgp]  key 0x81CF3416