Hi Jman,

On Fri, August 1, 2008 4:25 pm, Journeyman wrote:
>> > Patten editor, beat properties:
>> > - "velocity" actually tunes "hardness" of the beat: change name?
>
> So this has the same behaviour of "humanizing" the instrument using
> the mixer. Maybe the difference is that with "velocity" I can tune
> precisely any beat I want, while "humanize" works on a logic decided by
> H2.

Not exactly.  Usually, "humanizing" means that you randomly adjust the
velocity (and possibly lead/lag) by a small amount so that you can make it
sound more like a human is actually doing it.

Take, for instance, hitting 8th notes on a high-hat.  When you use the
'fill notes' feature on H2... you'll get something that just plain sounds
bad.  It's lifeless and mechanical.  Think of it as a robot hitting the
high hat with exactly the same force (velocity) every single time.  When
you play it for your friends, they'll say, "Pretty cool bro... but I can't
stand that cheezy MIDI."

Now think about how a human would do it.  He won't hit it exactly the same
way every time.  Some of that is on purpose (emphasizing specific
beats)... but some of it is just sort of random.  A person can't usually
hit a high hat with that much regularity.  'Humanizing' attempts to
automatically adjust the velocities (and timing -- lead/lag) in a random
way to make it sound more like a human it doing it.

I don't know the current state of humanizing in H2... but with 0.9.3 (and
before), 'humanizing' was a one-time adjustment.  It would take all your
velocities and increase them or decrease them a little bit (using a random
number generator).  But once done, it uses the same velocity every single
time it's played (as if you had set all the velocities by hand).  I don't
know what 0.9.4-svn is doing with humanize.

Peace,
Gabriel

--
               G a b r i e l   M   B e d d i n g f i e l d