Jungshik Shin wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Hans Deragon wrote:

  The problem is, from my understanding, that the keyboard mapping is
intertwined with the locale.  It is imperative that I use standard
locales as setup by Red Hat's preference's langage selection tool.

   So, RH's preference's lang. selection tool wouldn't allow
something like the following?

  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  LC_CTYPE=fr_CA.UTF-8

Nope. BTW, where can I find some documentation about LANG and LC_CTYPE? I never heard of LC_CTYPE and I want to know more.

Red Hat lang. selection tool is simple and offers you only a combo list from which you can select a language like "English (USA)".

I could report a feature request for this though.

 (which should work assuming Compose mechanism is governed by LC_CTYPE
 and you make a new Compose file for fr_CA.UTF-8
 that generates c-cedilda for <apostrophe>-<c>)

I will try this. I will create a win_en_US.UTF-8 composite file and set LC_CTYPE to it. I will keep you posted.

 For most users, setting  LANG would be sufficient, but having some
fine-grained control via GUI (in 'advanced' menu) wouldn't be bad.
Sure, it's always possible to change ~/.i18n or your shell start-up
file, but Hans doesn't seem to be fond of that.

What is that ~/.i18n? Please point me to a URL that explains it. I am seeking a solution for Grandma, but in the mean time and for my personal use, any solution is good.

Jungshik

Thanks, Hans Deragon -- Deragon Informatique inc. Open source: http://www.deragon.biz http://swtmvcwrapper.sourceforge.net mailto://[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://autopoweroff.sourceforge.net