Jungshik Shin wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Hans Deragon wrote:

Jungshik Shin wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Hans Deragon wrote:

 The problem is, from my understanding, that the keyboard mapping is
intertwined with the locale.  It is imperative that I use standard
locales as setup by Red Hat's preference's langage selection tool.

  So, RH's preference's lang. selection tool wouldn't allow
something like the following?

 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 LC_CTYPE=fr_CA.UTF-8

Nope. BTW, where can I find some documentation about LANG and LC_CTYPE? I never heard of LC_CTYPE and I want to know more.

There are more :-) LC_MESSAGES, LC_TIME, LC_ALL, etc

  Try google with 'Single Unix Specification' and you can see the
details  about POSIX / SUS locales. Or, you can just try 'man
locale' and read other man pages (e.g. nl_langinfo, setlocale)
referred therein.

Thanks. man locale hey? Will do.

(which should work assuming Compose mechanism is governed by LC_CTYPE
and you make a new Compose file for fr_CA.UTF-8
that generates c-cedilda for <apostrophe>-<c>)

I will try this. I will create a win_en_US.UTF-8 composite file and set LC_CTYPE to it. I will keep you posted.

   It won't work unless you make it an alias to en_US.UTF-8 for
glibc. It can also break old  programs that parse the return
value of getenv("LC_CTYPE"). Why do you want to stick to
en_US.UTF-8? I thought you're in Canada. If you're indeed a
Canadian, fr_CA.UTF-8 or en_CA.UTF-8 should be much better than ad-hoc
(more importantly NON-standard) names like win_en_US.UTF-8.
In POSIX, the locale modified should come at the very end
preceded by '@'. So, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is better, but still
I don't see any reason to use that instead of fr_CA.UTF-8
or en_CA.UTF-8.

None of the locale keyboard mappings map <apostrophe> <c> to "ç". This is why I want to introduce a standard win_en_US.UTF-8 composite. As for en_CA or en_FR, when RH was installed on my machine, English US, French (France) and Sweedish are the only languages installed. I do not want to mess to much with my system and prefer to stick with en_US. Anyhow, even though I am french, I prefer my system in english because I fear that the translations of man pages, info pages and other are not complete or bad. Also, I want to work on a generic solution for all people that want a standard MS US intl keyboard mapping. en_US is more standard than en_CA.

So, how do I create a [EMAIL PROTECTED] composite that would not break stuff and remap <apostrophe> <c> to "ç"?

For most users, setting  LANG would be sufficient, but having some
fine-grained control via GUI (in 'advanced' menu) wouldn't be bad.
Sure, it's always possible to change ~/.i18n or your shell start-up
file, but Hans doesn't seem to be fond of that.

What is that ~/.i18n? Please point me to a URL that explains it. I am seeking a solution for Grandma, but in the mean time and for my personal use, any solution is good.

   Unless your Grandma wants to change her locale setting frequently,
setting her 'fine-grained' choice in ~/.i18n should work fine.
RH shell startup scripts import  /etc/i18n (?)  and ~/.i18n (the
latter has a higher precedence than the former) so that you can
put your locale related stuffs there.  They're just plain
text files you can edit with the text editor of your choice.

Jungshik

My GrandMa exemple is a bad one. Lets talk about Joe Blow who knows nothing much about computers and has no Linux friend to help him. He relies only what he finds in the GUI. I want to push some user friendly interfaces here.

BTW, I am working now so I can't read more on locales at this time. I will try to work on it this evening.