Hi, Sam

Your experience matches mine with 'homeview' (see http://www.projectbernie.org - class page). I attempted to guide learners in the use of several activities with a slide show featuring a screen shot on each slide. One example is Paint. I quickly found that the slides needed a 'hook', a way to grab attention to keep the learner moving to the next slide (slides move with right/left arrow). I started with a screen shot of the first screen - a blank screen with no image!

On Youtube, there are many videos showing a user working through a scenario with an application. I find them difficult because the user moves too fast to follow.

Your suggestion of a walk-through on the XO with the user moving and clicking based on 'hints' on the screen seems very workable. However, I could see some learners becoming impatient and wanting to explore on their own.

So far, the only thing that has worked is a workshop where I personally walk the teachers through the steps to perform a specific task (e.g. connect to the schoolserver). This usually involves walking through the group with an XO saying 'your screen should look like this'.

Tony