From: Brandon Goodin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: vrijdag 3 juni 2005 13:54
To: ibatis-user-java@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Calling DAO within TypeHandlerCallback

Sounds more like we need to provide savepoints support for this kind
of stuff. Nested Transactions sound yucky.

Brandon

On 6/3/05, Niels Beekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes, but they are not separate, I think the following happens:
>
> MyDao
>         getObject()
>                 startTransaction()
>                 MyTypeHandlerCallBack.getResult()
>                         MyOtherDao.getOtherObject()
>                                 startTransaction() - state is already
active, continue
>                                         // process OtherObject
>                                 commitTransaction() - commits the
transaction
>                                 endTransaction() - closes the
resultset / statement
>                         GetSomeMoreProperties() - throws an exception,
resultset is already closed
>                 commitTransaction()
>                 endTransaction()
>
> All calls to a DAO are wrapped in a DaoProxy which takes care of the
autocommit-behaviour, if you call a DAO within a DAO (via typehandlers),
commitTransaction() is called on the DaoContext, which is the same for
both DAO's.

> To make this work properly, autocommit should happen on separate
contexts, or commitTransaction() should implement some kind of
"transaction-depth" i.e. nested transactions.

> Hopefully this clarifies a bit.
>
> Niels

autocommit, you'll get a separate transaction for each call (which makes
sense for that semantic).

> This might make a great FAQ entry.
>
> Clinton
>
> On 5/31/05, Niels Beekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Update:
>
> Strange, when I do not use autocommit-semantics and explicitly
demarcate my transactions, everything goes fine. Well, at least I have a
workaround.

> Until now, I used autocommit-semantics for most of my reads, and only
explicitly demarcated when updating/inserting/deleting, should I always
use the latter, even for reads?

> Niels

Similarly, iBATIS only closes result sets once all columns have been
iterated through (and hence all TypeHandlers have been executed).
Unfortunately some drivers (like IBM's DB2 driver) like to close
resultsets automatically when the last row is read....you're using JTDS,
which we've also had a lot of troubling reports about. Just for giggles,
can you try either the Microsoft driver or the Sybase driver, depending
on which database you're using?

> Cheers,
> Clinton
>
> On 5/31/05, Niels Beekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, me again :)
>
> When using a TypeHandlerCallback-implementation that calls the DAO,
any
> subsequent property that iBATIS tries to fetch results in the
following
> error (this dump occurred with a Date-property):
>
> java.sql.SQLException: Invalid state, the ResultSet object is closed.
> at
> net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsResultSet.checkOpen
(JtdsResultSet.java:284
> )
> at
> net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsResultSet.findColumn
(JtdsResultSet.java:86
> 4)
> at

net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsResultSet.getTimestamp(JtdsResultSet.java:
> 1225)
> at
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingResultSet.getTimestamp
(DelegatingResul
> tSet.java:261)
> at

com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.type.DateTypeHandler.getResult(DateTypeHandler.
> java:44)
> at

com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.mapping.result.BasicResultMap.getPrimitiveResul
> tMappingValue( BasicResultMap.java:544)
> at

com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.mapping.result.BasicResultMap.getResults(BasicR
> esultMap.java:303)
> at

com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.execution.SqlExecutor.handleResults(SqlExecutor
> .java:363)
> at

com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.execution.SqlExecutor.executeQuery(SqlExecutor.
> java:184)
> at

com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.mapping.statement.GeneralStatement.sqlExecuteQu
> ery(GeneralStatement.java :205)
> at

com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.mapping.statement.GeneralStatement.executeQuery
> WithCallback(GeneralStatement.java:173)
> at

com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.mapping.statement.GeneralStatement.executeQuery
> ForObject(GeneralStatement.java :104)
> at

com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.impl.SqlMapExecutorDelegate.queryForObject(SqlM
> apExecutorDelegate.java:561)
> at
> com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.impl.SqlMapExecutorDelegate.queryForObject
(SqlM
> apExecutorDelegate.java :536)
> at

com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.impl.SqlMapSessionImpl.queryForObject(SqlMapSes