As the issue has been pretty much addressed, I just wanted to add that in
addition to TMSCOPY to backup the TMC/AUDIT files, there should be at least a
daily execution of maintenance utilities like TMSCTLG, TMSEXPDT, TMSCYCLE and
TMSCLEAN. This will ensure that volumes which should be expiring are and that
the TMC remains 'healthy'. We run this process twice a day, each time
performing the backup first before any of the other maintenance utilities.

The original issue is a situation best addressed by not only regular TMSCOPY
executions, but also noting that the size of the AUDIT file is directly
proportionate to the amount of tape activity that takes place between TMSCOPY
executions. High tape activity requires either a larger AUDIT file or more
frequent TMSCOPY executions. Another sizing consideration is that of problem
determination. The larger the AUDIT file, the further back in time you can go
if you are researching an issue with volume usage. Since the AUDIT file is a
'wrap' file,  more of the older records are overwritten as tape activity
increase so if you want to keep older records longer, size it larger. This is
also a side note as to how the AUDIT file functions. When you run TMSCOPY, it
is not emptied but rather pointers stored in the TMC control records are
adjusted.

 Frank.
Frank Bonaduce
GSG Systems Engineering