Dave Day wrote:

> Is this supposed to work this way?  I've just spent a bit of time in the Init
> & Tuning Reference, and nothing in there indicates what I'm seeing.  On a
> z/OS 1.12 system, if the SMFPRM member has NOACTIVE set, my IEFACTRT exit is
> not invoked.  When I set it to ACTIVE, it is.  Only change I make in the
> SMFPRM member.

NOACTIVE is for the WHOLE SMF subsystem, not for parts of it. But see below my
answer.

>If I do a D PROG,EXIT,EN=SYS.IEFACTRT my exit shows up and is marked as
>active, no matter which SMFPRM setting I am using for ACTIVE/NOACTIVE.
>However, only when the member is set to record with ACTIVE does my SMF exit
>get called.  Is this working as designed?

As documented and if you don't want to activate the exit, ensure you are NOT
stating EXITS(IEFACTRT) anywhere.

>What I wanted to do was to turn off recording of SMF records, but still use
>the exits to communicate to my server address space.

Turn off recording SMF while using exits? I'm not sure what you want, but you
can try something like this:

SYS(NOTYPE(0:255),EXITS(<all your exits>))

(and also for the other SUBSYS too)

> The exits are installed programatically using the dynamic exits facility, if
> that makes any difference.

AFAIK, it will not make any difference.

HTH!

Groete / Greetings