------------------------------------------<snip>----------------------------------

Is this supposed to work this way? I've just spent a bit of time in the Init & Tuning Reference, and nothing in there indicates what I'm seeing. On a z/OS 1.12 system, if the SMFPRM member has NOACTIVE set, my IEFACTRT exit is not invoked. When I set it to ACTIVE, it is. Only change I make in the SMFPRM member. If I do a D PROG,EXIT,EN=SYS.IEFACTRT my exit shows up and is marked as active, no matter which SMFPRM setting I am using for ACTIVE/NOACTIVE. However, only when the member is set to record with ACTIVE does my SMF exit get called. Is this working as designed? Anybody know? What I wanted to do was to turn off recording of SMF records, but still use the exits to communicate to my server address space. The exits are installed programatically using the dynamic exits facility, if that makes any difference.
This is the behaviour I would expect. IEFACTRT is dependant on the data collected by SMF processing. No SMF processing means no data, therefore, no reason to even attempt invoking the exit.

Try using it with SMF ACTIVE and use the NOTYPE(nnn...nnn) operand to supress recording of actual records.

Rick