Remember how old the 3270 architecture is. Wikipedia says about 1972. Think 1
Mhz 8080 as "top of the line" micro processor. The original 3277 and its
controllers were STUPID. Rather than put a more powerful processor in the
controller, IBM decided to offload the "complicated" function of calculating
the position of the data into the host. Made of discrete transistors and
resistors! Very primitive. So, the host just sent a simple to understand
"buffer address" (a single number) to the 3274. It basically just starting
stuffing data characters at that location in a RAM buffer. More power == most
cost == fewer purchases. Much like some of the "krud" in z/OS today due to
"short sighted" architects who were worried about memory and slow CPUs and
expensive DASD.

The answer to these problems is obvious: Convert from archaic z/OS to modern
Windows 8! At least that's what a lot of "Windows weenies" around here are
saying. Over and over and over and over. "Better! Faster!! Cheaper!!!" is their
cry. Anything z/OS can do, they state can be done using Windows and at lower
TCO. Herr Gobbles would be proud of them.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group