Nice trick.

--

Regards, Gord Tomlin
Action Software International
(a division of Mazda Computer Corporation)
Tel: (905) 470-7113, Fax: (905) 470-6507

On 2012-04-23 13:18, John Gilmore wrote:
Gord,

Not quite.

PL/I is the archetypical; language that makes these facilities
available, and in it the label associated with a leave statement can
only be that of a containing group, as in

outer: do ;
   inner: do ;
      . . .
      leave outer :
      . . .
   end inner :
end outer ;

in which execution of the leave statement transfers control to the
statement following the

end outer ;

statement.

The GOTO I described transfers control to the statement following the
instance of a label associated with the first invocation of a
procedure from the invocation of that procedure in which it is
executed.

Note that PL/I can do this.  If you supply a label constant, call it
gubbins, to a procedure as an argument and then, within that
invocation or a subsequent, recursive invocation of this procedure
execute the statement

goto gubbins ;

control will be returned to the instance of the label gubbins active
at the time of the first call,he DSA stack weill be purged
appropriately, etc., etc..

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA