On 20 May 2012 18:28:50 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>On 5/20/2012 7:33 PM, Mary Anne Matyaz wrote:
>> Except for an 'outage' is not 'scheduled maintenance'. So they still hit
>> 24/7 as long as
>> they do it during a 50 some hour outage. :)
>>
>> MA
>>
>>> Let me know if I missed any. Clearly we still have a way to go for 24/7.
>>
>> 100%, 99%, 98.4%, 97.5%, 97.4%: clearly trending in the wrong direction. The
>> average up-time so far in 2012 is 98.46% ... not even two nines.
>>
>> Of course, things look far worse if you consider weekends -- when most
>> customer
>> scheduled outages take place -- to be 'prime time' for IBMLink availability.
>> :-\

>> send email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN
>
>For our purposes, an outage is an outage, scheduled or not.  Our
>requirement to IBM is clearly 24/7/365(6), for all of IBMLink, SR,
>ShopZ, Internet Service Retrieval, etc.  Ed's right in that IBM
>exacerbates the problem by having the outages during most z/OS
>installation's prime time for maintenance.  They should move these
>outages to 0dark30 on Thursday morning or something.

In a private e-mail, I was correctly brought to task for
repetitive postings comparing IBM to Microsoft.  However I think I
have been making my point badly.  It seems that IBM feels that it is
not worth the investment to bring this application (Service Link,
etc.) to a 24/7/265 level of reliability and some people who I know
and respect here would have this lower on the list of priorities
believing there are more urgent issues.  However my point is two fold,
the first is that we can point to another vendor that seems to do
better and that this may well cast doubts on the reliability of the z
series platform.  In dealing with the problem  we need to determine if
this is basically just a problem for z/OS support staff that doesn't
affect the perception of the platform or is this something that hurts
those of us who are advocating that the z series platform is the best
one for our critical applications.  In short is this just a techy
problem or is it also an image problem within the larger organization?

Clark Morris