I agree with Mark, but I think you are referring to "reserved" lpars - I
thing you have to
do a POR at least once to define them.

I tried to make a couple of ours that we no longer used "reserved" but it
meant taking
all the channel definitions away which seemed like a lot of work only to
have to
put them back later so I didn't. Left the old definitions with minimal
memory and
don't activate them.

Did I read somewhere that z/os 1.7 or perhaps one of the new boxes
support adding LPAR's without a POR?

The business mission is a kilo boat load of Linux images, not real z/os
images.  My knee jerk plan is to shrink a z/os image, and redistribute
the resources across a large number of small Linux images.

Or was that just a nice dream?