IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 04/25/2006
09:24:37 AM:

>  IBM has some  undocumented monitor call
> instructions inside the I/O first level interrupt  handler for
> instrumentation
> purposes.  Maybe they also have some way to  measure the overhead of
> building an
> SMF record.  And maybe they can  report on it some day if they do.
> There is no
> way we can find out.   The only part of the overhead we can measure is
that
> belonging to the SMF  writing service in the SMF address space, and
that's a
> small part of the  total.

  The "undocumented montitor call instructions" (generated by the
COUNT macro, and in many places besides the I/O FLIH) are for the
purpose of determining the frequency of some events.  They do not assist
in determining duration or CPU consumption.

  IBM does not, to my knowledge, have any way to measure the cost of
building SMF records.

  Some components/products may check to see whether a particular
record type is being recorded before incurring the cost to build it.
Here is an example from IEFTB721:

  RFY (REG15) RSTD;                 /*                    @G742PJW*/
                               /* CHECK IF RECORD TYPE 30 IS BEING
                               COLLECTED                  @G742PJW*/
  GEN REFS(SMCAMACR,SMCABASE); /*                         @G742PJW*/
  SMFRTEST RECTYPE=30                                     @G742PJW
@ENDGEN;                            /*                    @G742PJW*/
  IF REG15=RECGATH THEN         /*IF TYPE 30 IS COLLECTED @G742PJW*/
    DO;                      /* BEGIN - TYPE 30 collected @G742PJW*/
     RFY (REG1) UNRSTD;         /*                        @ZA43580*/
     CALL IEFSMF30(LCTPTR,SWBLKPTR(JOBACT)->IEFAACTB); /* CALL
                                 ROUTINE TO BUILD DUMMY PROTOTYPE
                                 RECORDS                  @G742PJW*/
                                 /* FILL IN STEP ACCT FIELDS
                                                          @G742PJW*/

 I do not know if use of this technique is pervasive
within IBM products.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY