<snip>

> Why ?
> IMHO it *depends*. Is it so common to run few z/OS LPARs and hundreds
> Linux images ? I know datacenters running several LPARs (monoplexes,
> completely separated systems), *few* Linux images  ...and bunch of
> Windows servers<g>
> One of the datacenters is using Linux under IFL. 2-4 images. Is it
> really cost effective to buy z/VM for this poor z/800 machine ?
> Is it really needed at all ?
>
> Just my $0.02
> --
> Radoslaw Skorupka

I do agree that the configuration should be based on the need of the
company. I guess that I was speaking generically without stating some of
my assumptions.

In the case of a very few LPARs (less than 5 or 6?), then z/VM is likely
to be overkill. But I think that the original person was indicating that
they were going to have a LOT of Linux images, not just a few. For me,
in most cases, I would likely suggest doing z/OS in LPARs (since PR/SM
is "free" (gratis/bundled) and z/VM costs more per CPU to license on a
general CPU than on an IFL (IIRC)). I would assign all the IFLs to a
single LPAR running z/VM. Again, most cases I envision would likely have
a fair number of Linux images running due to the "one function, one
image" that seems to be "in vogue" with even Linux people. There is even
a "push" to have multiple z/OS LPARs here to "separate activity for
better control." <bronx cheer>

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.