In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 06/23/2006
   at 06:59 PM, Anne & Lynn Wheeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>tss/360 (the "real" operating system that was suppose to be for
>360/67)  had a different mechanism ... moving address constants out
>of the  program image

You don't consider a PSECT to be part of the program image? IAC,
TSS/360 had to do as much work relocating address constants as OS/360,
it just did it a bit more dynamically.

>note that multics had similar issues and addressed them in similar
>manner.

Multics had the advantage of hardware that supported indirect
addressing and traps for unresolved pointers. That allowed for a much
cleaner approach to dynamic loading.

>in any case, tss/360 had a hard time achieving market acceptance ...
> partially because the code implementation was significantly
>slowwwwwww

It got better, but I recall the days when people referred to it as
Tape Spinning System.