In
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
on 07/18/2006
   at 05:26 PM, SUBSCRIBE IBM-MAIN tdell <T'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:

>To recap..

Much of that is wrong.

>Mainframes don't actually have a backplane that's governed by a bus
>arbitrator scheme as some implementation have done in the past.

Some do.

>That channel subsystem as it was called, was strictly a place for the
>more experienced coders so beware. It has it's own methodology when
>it came to writing code.

You don't write code for the channel. There is a very limited set of
opcodes for channel command words and there is no provision for even
simple computation.

>The channel subsystem is really a processor in it's own right.

On some mainfames, not on all. The channels on, e.g., the 360/40,
360/50, 370/145, 370/155, worked by cycle stealing.

> All throughout the architecture you'll find various processors that
>are part of the machine architectural composition,

No, that's implementation.