In
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
on 07/18/2006
   at 03:46 PM, "Kuredjian, Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:

>1. zOS has a kernel called the BCP, or Base Control Program.

Now. The term "kernel" in CS carries with it a load of assumptions
that simply don't apply; they aren't even wrong, but totally
meaningless. You might think of the nucleus as being the kernel, but
that would still be horribly misleading. The BCP includes a host of
functions that run in normal address spaces and tasks, roughly
comparable to process and threads in the Unix world.

>In Linux or Windows, it's established that the kernel runs on a
>general purpose CPU( PowerPC, x86, MIPS, etc...); however, I would
>like to know if such a central CPU exists in the mainframe,  and if
>that central CPU is of some common architecture like, POWER.

There are many mainframes. The ones that z/OS runs on have
architectures called S/390 and zSeries.

>If not, are there any documents that I can look into that will
>describe the CPU architecture for me?

Wouldn't such documents mean that there *is* a common architecture?
As, in fact, there is, and it is described in the zSeries Principles
of Operation.

>2. ESCON and FICON are data busses used for external storage
>devices, but what does the mainframe use for internal data bus,
>InfiniBand, HyperTransport?

It's not part of the architecture what it uses internally, and
different processor complexes use different busses, none of which are
in your list.

>3. Does the mainframe use common interconnects on the hardware
>level? I'm thinking of PCIe, PCI-X, MCA, or PCI.

The architecture defines interconnects that are not in your list. Some
processor complexes have PCI slots, but that is *not* part of the
architecture.

Please skim[1] PoOps and then come back with the questions it raises.

[1] You probably don't want to read it straight through just yet.