Tom,

>>....  However, there is a flag in the NVR that says "I am a deferred
>>generation" (probably in the catalog as well) and I don't know what
>>trouble that might cause later.
>>
>Wouldn't that be the same flag, Bruce?  As I understand it, the BCS just
>points to the volume and everything else is kept in the VVDS.

Active generations are kept in the B (GDG base) record in the BCS. Datasets
that are deferred or rolled out have a type A (simple dataset) record. When
you create a +1 SMS gds, it is cataloged with type A record until you roll
it
into the GDG base (type B) record. If the GDG is already at the limit, the
oldest generation is rolled off the B record to make room for the +1. If
the
GDG has scratch, the rolled off generation is uncataloged and scratched. If
the GDG has noscratch, the rolled off SMS-managed generation is recataloged
in a type A record. I run scans every now and then looking for gdgs with
noscratch and fix them. Since I use utilities to find deferred or rolled
out
GDS so I don't know what flag bits are used or where to find them.
Regards,
John