In a message dated 1/16/2007 6:19:54 P.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Unit Check means that you need to issue a SENSE command to  determine
>the type of event.
A more accurate way to say this is that Unit Check means that the sense  data
needs to be examined.  For maybe 10 years now at least IBM DASD  controllers
have been sending the full set of sense data into central storage  along with
the status at the time of the interrupt.  This feature, called  Concurrent
Sense, allows IOS not to have to incur the overhead and time  delay of doing a
separate I/O in order to read sense data.  The  sense bytes are stored in the
extended control word within the IRB.   There is a bit in the SCHIB that
indicates whether or not the device  presents sense data concurrently with the
normal
interrupt data such as  status.  I am not sure which device-related control
block in storage has  this same info.  These sense bytes are only sent into
central storage if  the status includes unit check.

Bill  Fairchild