>I could get past whatever it is that makes it so hard for me to
>understand the syntax of these newer features.

There's an interesting project for someone:  a lanuage preprocessor for
SORT which accepts a different syntax, and produces SORT control
statements; or a "wrapper" which does the same thing. Maybe a "sort
wizard" also, to help someone build the sort they need?

I don't personally have a problem with the syntax, but I know a lot of
people seem to. I think, also, that we're seeing more "zNextGen" types who
don't usually code control statements for a sort, they (I guess) set up a
sort via drop-down menus and the like - which makes the learning curve of
sort syntax (any mainframe sort tool, not just IBM's)  a pretty big hurdle
to jump.

Unfortunately I don't think non-functional improvement to mainframe sorts
(i.e. allowing a different syntax without adding new capabilities) is
going to get a lot of new customers, so I don't know if an economic case
can be made for building a new language for it.

Tim Hare
Senior Systems Programmer
Florida Department of Transportation
(850) 414-4209