On 18 Jan 2007, you wrote in bit.listserv.ibm-main:

>>I could get past whatever it is that makes it so hard for me to
>>understand the syntax of these newer features.
>

> I don't personally have a problem with the syntax, but I know a lot of
> people seem to. I think, also, that we're seeing more "zNextGen" types
> who don't usually code control statements for a sort, they (I guess)
> set up a sort via drop-down menus and the like - which makes the
> learning curve of sort syntax (any mainframe sort tool, not just
> IBM's)  a pretty big hurdle to jump.

I am feeling the need to defend myself.  I am a 25 year veteran of
mainframe environments.  They would not dare issue me a "zNextGen"
membership card.   I can code standard sorts like there is no tomorrow.
I loathe the current trend in software development that your product is
just not cool without a graphical drag-drop front end.   But, given the
fact that the there is a 'tricks' sheet on the website, you have to
assume that maybe some of these new sort verbs are not intuitively
obvious.

Quick now, without a manual, and without being Frank Yaeger.  Tell me
exactly what this snippet of code is doing.  you have 3 seconds.  (And by
the way, you are currently supporting  z/OS, DB2, IMS, VTAM, TCPIP, and
everthing else on, near or connected to, the mainframe... not just sorts)
OVERLAY=(49:SEQNUM,8,ZD,
         41:41,8,ZD,SUB,49,8,ZD,M11,LENGTH=8))

[[[ the above is purely in jest.   If you do not see the humor in it, I
apologize ]]]