On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:53:01 -0600, Hal Merritt wrote:

>The complete loss of mission critical data even for a few days could be
catastrophic to the company. One solution is to have backups that aren't
encrypted. But, then, what would be the point of encryption in the first
place? As I said, a puzzlement.

I wouldn't encrypt data within a datacenter. The only data that gets
encrypted around here is data that goes out the door. Internal tapes are
not encrypted. All tapes that go off site are encrypted and all
tranmissions are encrypted. Some of our E-Mails are even required to be
encrypted. But within the confines of the controlled environment,
encryption is not required.

I would expect a performance penalty if everything within the datacenter
were encypted. Not a blue screen of death, but more probably management
death threats.