On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:53:01 -0600, Hal Merritt wrote:

>The encryption software starts before Windows. The software failed with a
blue screen of death.

>My sense is that one or more critical files on the hard drive used by the
software became corrupt as PC files are known to do. But I don't know.

>But my point was the laptop was put out of service for several days.
Doesn't really matter why. This may be tolerable (or even expected) with a
PC. But on a mainframe?

You are describing one of the core differences between real mainframes and
etch-a-sketch computers -- the real McCoy use parity for memory and lots of
checking in the I/O accesses as well (seen and unseen).  The doorstop
Wintel computers almost never use memory with parity and offer little or no
error checking in the I/O path.  To no surprise the doorstop computers
fail, early & often, while the mainframes lumber on.

To be slightly more fair, the PCs are rarely kept in controlled
environments and can be subject to all kinds of radio and other EM
interference... not _always_ at a high enough signal strength to corrupt a
bit or two but a few overweight alpha particles can do wonderous things.
And they strike without warning.

>The complete loss of mission critical data even for a few days could be
catastrophic to the company. One solution is to have backups that aren't
encrypted. But, then, what would be the point of encryption in the first
place? As I said, a puzzlement.

I don't believe you will see the same kinds of issues with mainframe
encryption and I really would be astonished if the errors were within 3
orders of magnitude of the PC (or even blade server) world.  Reliability is
key to the mainframe.

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI