From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of R.S.
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2007 6:13 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: License keys for ISV products(What alternatives are there?)

Russell Witt wrote:
One reason you can NOT compare IBM to any ISV is that IBM knows what
hardware you have; how many box's you have and what size they are. They
know
because they sold them to you and you don't have any alternative then to
buy
from them (one reason for the ongoing suit). So, they don't have to worry
about you running it on some extra systems.

It's not true. It wasn't true. I hope it won't be true. In the past there
were Amdahl, Hitachi, Comparex, Olivetti and other vendors which IBM didn't
know about their sales.
Nowadays you some of the non-IBM CPCs are still in use, and last but
definitely not least - you can purchase IBM CPC from broker. Even if all
your CPCs are from IBM, they're not sure what machine is "cold reserve",
what's for DR, and what products are run on this machine, not the other.
So, IBM don't know as well.

The ISV doesn't know any of this. How often do you invite your ISV into
your
data center to analyze what size machines you have and what they are each
running. Not that the average ISV sales person could tell the difference
between a processor and an air conditioner.

That's why there is no need to invite anyone to my server room.
We can analyze everything on paper.
BTW: The most important thing to analyze is license agreement. There are so
many gotchas prepared by ISV!
Again, IBM is not likely to negotiate the price for software (however it
*IS* subject to negotiate), but I'm pretty sure, there is not "gotcha" in
IBM license agreement.

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2007 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
opacony) wynosi 118.064.140 z. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego
podwyszenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchwa XVI WZ z dnia 21.05.2003
r., kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA moe ulec podwyszeniu do kwoty 118.760.528
z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym bd w caoci opacone.