On Mon, 14 May 2007 11:16:32 +0200, John Ticic
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>-- snip --
>Just ran into that.   Things that large should be on physical tape (if you
>have it).   We ran a report of dsns with more than 20 volsers and are
>just about all of them were from DB2 and jobs created by the same
>DBA.   Our default forces things to virtual and people do have to let
>us know if they want it to go to physical tape.
>-- snip --
>
>VSM (and VTS) offer simple, application independent duplication for
>disaster recovery purposes. When you change jobs from using virtual tapes
>to real tapes you have to look at how you're going to duplicate the tapes.
>It's one reason to try to keep all your tapes virtual.
>
>-- snip --

Exactly.  We got out of the  business of letting applications decide what to
duplex years ago.  That is why our default is to go to virtual and we duplex
100%  for disaster recovery.  That was part of our VSM implementation when
we migrated from VTS.

So it's fool proof... we can't miss something because someone forgot to
tell operations there was a new application and a new tape that needed
to be added to a vault pattern and be sent off site or be added to a
TAPEREQ / MGMTCLAS or SMS change etc. This includes test data... but
since there are better retention controls for test data it really just a nit in
the total amount duplexed.  It's a small trade off for simplifying the
management of the environment (which is very large) and guaranteeing
to the business that we will have all the tape data in a disaster.

So yes... if any of those DBA files (image copies?) have DR considerations,
they will need a second physical copy if changed from virtual to physical.
On a similar note... some of the DBA's old FDR full pack backup jobs were
duplexing from FDR... so we were creating 4 virtual copies.  Those were
changed at somepoint but I'm willing to bet there are still applications
creating their own copies for DR and both sets are duplexed in virtual
now.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group:  G-ITO