> For as long as I've been in the business, it has not embraced new
talent
> - getting a start was always hard. People prefer to pay for knowledge
> rather than train their own - no risk of (training) investment walking
> out the door I guess.
> Most of the work I see nowadays is to migrate shops off the platform,
or
> company consolidations. Tech staff walk because they can see no
> prospect, or they don't have a job because of a merger.
> Hardly encouraging for the future.
>
> I couldn't (and don't) recommend this as a long time prospect for
people
> looking to start a career. Despite the fact I have enjoyed my time.
> This particular pond is drying up.
>
> Shane ...

There is a risk of training new talent.  I had worked for about a year
in my first systems programmer job.  There were two of us and it was
decided between us and management that the workload had gotten to be
great enough to require a third systems programmer.  We found a very
good person in the applications programming area, transferred him to
technical support, and sent him away to the two week MVS internals class
and then the JES2 internals class.  Just 2 months after he got back from
that class he left the company for a more lucrative position.  Of course
then we were in the 70s when everyone was moving around for more money.
However, we had put a lot of financial and time resources into training
this guy and he up and quit.  It soured management on internal transfers
and training for a while.

Tom Kelman

If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.