>Do we offer free tech support to those unwilling to read the manual? Or worse
>pass >themselves off as competent to organizations devoted to outsourcing OUR
>jobs?

You still don't get it!

If you don't like outsourcing, or the "low wage" policies, then those need to
be addressed through political means and not by some childish notion of "I'm
not going to answer your question".

Tech support should answer ANY question asked of it.  If the question is
ridiculous or too general, then don't answer it.  There is certainly not much
possibility that an answer is so thorough that it will produce an expert
instantaneously.

If we start judging who is worthy of having a question answered or not, then,
if this is what it means to be a mainframe systems programmer then we will
deservedly be pushed aside.

Adam