that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Green) writes:
> I lost track of who posted the original inquiry, so take this for what it's
> worth.
>
> If the requirement is in the financial industry, could the communications
> between the two/various systems use S.W.I.F.T. (Society for Worldwide
> Interbank Financial Telecommunications)?  It's been some time since I wrote
> anything for SWIFT, but it was extremely secure and most financial
> institutions should be linked in.
>
> When I did some work, it was used in the securities market, primarily for
> payments, foreign exchange, securities, etc...  However, there were
> rumblings that the SWIFT organization was thinking about opening up the
> network for other financial "transactions"; which I took to mean data
> exchange...

home page
http://www.swift.com/

"swift-2" providing internet capability and opening up for b-to-b;

we had been brought in to consult with small client/server startup that
wanted to do payment transactions on their server; they also had this
technology they called SSL they wanted to use ... and result is
sometimes now called e-commerce. part of the effort was something called
payment gateway (transition between internet and acquiring networks)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#gateway

we then were involved in x9a10 financial standard working group (in the
mid-90s had been given the requirement to preserve the integrity of the
financial infrastructure for all retail payments) that resulted
in the x9.59 financial standard
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/x959.html#x959

some years ago we were also asked to provide some input to the swift-2
(what it was called at the time) specification.

Connecting to the secure IP network (SIPN)
http://www.swift.com/index.cfm?item_id=2304

from above:

SWIFTNet messaging services are provided via SWIFT's secure IP network
(SIPN), a highly secure and reliable network. Full redundancy, advanced
recovery mechanisms and first class operations and customer support
services ensure continuous network availability for SWIFTNet services.

... snip ..

SWIFTNet Interfaces Qualification
http://www.swift.com/index.cfm?item_id=2451

other refs:

Securities Markets Infrastructures
http://www.swift.com/index.cfm?item_id=2437

Banking Markets infrastructures
http://www.swift.com/index.cfm?item_id=57981

from above:

Additionally, SWIFT is now complementing its position in the wholesale,
high value clearing market by extending its portfolio of SWIFTNet
messaging solutions to the low-value payments and ACH market.

... snip ...