On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:54:23 -0700, Roger Bolan wrote:

>I agree with John.  TERSE is the simplest.   You just terse the file on
>the source z/OS system, then use binary for all transfers.   Then there is
>no problem of EBCDIC/ASCII, or RDW.  The binary file arrives unchanged.
>Then use TERSE to unpack it and it automatically restores the correct DCB
>attributes.   The only thing I have ever had to remember to do was specify
>directory blocks when untersing a PDS and no directory blocks for a
>sequential file.
>
>If the file gets to an intermediate server where you can use FTP from your
>target z/OS system to get it directly, then you can do this:
>
>BINARY  < don't forget this.  ASCII mode by default does not work for
>traces>
>LOCSITE recfm=fb lrecl=1024 cylinders primary=100 secondary=10 blksize=0
> <this is the key to doing this from my MVS>
>mget Pxxxxx.* ( replace                 <case sensitive on the file names>
>quit            < to get out of FTP>

How much of this stuff couldn't be automated with a well-designed tool?

(see:

    "z/OS V1R7.0 DFSMSdfp Utilities"
B.0           Appendix B.  Unload Partitioned Data Set Format

... )

The header records of the unload data set contain most (all?) of this
information.  I've experimented with doing this in a Rexx program.
IIRC, the only way I could infer the directory block count was to
read the directory block records and count them; the only way I could
infer space was to make a guess based on the size of the unload
data set.

But SMP/E does this well for its TLIBs; the packager doesn't need to
specify any information to IEBCOPY -- it gets it all from the DSCB,
and the installer specifies only DSPREFIX to SMP/E -- it dynamically
allocates based on the information in the unload data set (but does
it need two passes to do this?)  Couldn't TERSE do as well if the
developers chose to do so?

-- gil