From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Craddock, Chris
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 10:22 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: CPU-Time in z/Os-System. Is The Cpu Time In z/Os-systems A
Meaningful Indication?

> I have a programm written in Cobol which runs monthly on a
z/Os-System.
> The programm reads inputrecords and writes them in a database (DB2)
and in
> different outputfiles. It consumes nearly the same numbers of input
> records every month. I wonder now, why there are so great differences
in the
> consumed cpu-time. For example: Last month the programm consumed due
> the job protocol 11.25 (what ever that means) and this month it
consumed
> 16.33

If the COBOL program simply looped it would use a certain amount of CPU
time and that amount of time would be more or less the same every time
you ran it on a given machine. However your COBOL program does useful
work, reading and writing data. It consumes system services while doing
that and those system services are related to the amount of data being
processed.

So if the amount of data being processed is "about the same" then you
would expect the amount of system resources (including CPU) to be about
the same. You are seeing roughly a 5 second (45%) increase in CPU
consumption, so that is far outside of what you might expect from random
variations.

Are you sure your program is processing the same amount of data?

If the amount of data really is about the same then you have to look to
the organization of the data. For your input files; the block size may
have changed which could lead to an increase in CPU time, but it is
unlikely that you would see such a big change. For your output; there
are lots of minor changes that can have major impacts on performance in
DB2. That pretty much leaves DB2 as the potential culprit. I would look
there first.

CC