As a USS program, FTP probably uses the C library's time functions,
which don't know about the z/OS PARMLIB setting!
You probably have to set the TZ environment variable if you want to
see local time.   Use the ENVAR() LE parm option (or via CEEOPTS if
you are running 1.7+).

You would think that a batch job that dubs into USS (like FTP batch
client) would get variables from /etc/init.options, but you would be
wrong!   We have batch USS programs that try to work around this by
reading /etc/init.options themselves, but have found that some
installations don't make this file world-readable.   AFAIK, there is
no place to important system-wide environment variables so that
*every* USS process gets them.  Feature or bug?

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies