<snip>

> I agree that SET variables are very useful. But I think that
> they could
> be more useful if they were more like UNIX environment variables -
> accessible to running programs. Perhaps via the ASASYMBM
> interface. The
> 100 char limit on PARM, limits how much data you can pass to a program
> using it.
>
> Another weird idea just occurred to me (though I may have
> read it here).
> A subsystem, written by IBM, which "emulates" a sequential file. But
> what is read are the subsystem parameters on the JCL. Each
> subparameter
> would be a separate record when read by the program. This
> could be used
> to replace small SYSIN-like data with data which includes symbol
> substitution.
>
> Eg:
>
> //DEL EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
> //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
> //SYSIN DD SUBSYS=(READ,
> // ' DEL &DSN',
> // ' SET MAXCC=0'),
> // DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=80,BLKSISE=80)
>
> --
> John McKown
> Senior Systems Programmer
<unsnip>

Also available on the CBT updates as file 779 is a program called
SYMBSUB which reads an 80 column file, does symbol substitutions using
values pulled from jobs own JESJCL and writes the file back out.  Using
the example from above, the equivalent function would be coded as
follows:

// SET &DSN=SOME.DSN.NAME
//DOSUBS   EXEC PGM=SYMBSUB
//CNTL001I DD *
 DEL &DSN
 SET MAXCC=0
//CNTL001O DD DSN=&&TMPSYSIN,DISP=(NEW,PASS),
// DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=0),
// UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,1)
//SYSOUT   DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//DEL      EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD DSN=&&TMPSYSIN,DISP=OLD

With this there is no need to worry about limitations of parm lengths or
multiple job steps for multiple lines of data.  The program will also
handle more than one input and output file in a single step.  Just
supply matching CNTLxxxI and CNTLxxxO DD names and it will process them
all.

HTH,
Bill Bass
Senior Applications Developer