On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:30:58 -0400, Thompson, Steve
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>No, the writer is quite technically astute and meant that the vacuum
>tube circuits with their chokes, coils, etc. were ELECTRICALLY noisy.

You may be right.  You are definitely giving the author more credit
than I did.  I did briefly wonder if he might be talking about
microphonics, but decided that would have been a possible issue
in an analog system but would have been causght as a dead
device by whatever error detection was (hopefully) used.

I don't remember what vacuum tube logic circuits looked like.  Are
you sure they were much noisier than the transisterized circuits
that replaced them?

Pat O'Keefe