------------------------------<snip>----------------------------
> I remember my first (and last) radio kit emitted a barely audible
> high-pitched "whine" when turned on.  The only other detail I remember
------------------------------<unsnip>----------------------------

Now you're making a connection back to the original article.  That
high-pitched "whine" was from high frequency magnetic fields causing the
internal ferrous parts of the tube to vibrate.  This would sometimes be
at harmonic frequencies that would cause the external tube or even the
mounting surface to vibrate, making the sound audible.  Nearly all of
what we encountered tubes in as consumers were analog devices.  Now put
those tubes in a computer, a digital device and start pushing square
waves through them instead of nicely curved analog wave forms.  Magnetic
fields that are basically going from full on to full off repeatedly.
Small ferrous parts getting jerked back and forth all over the place.  I
bet that "hummer" buzzed like a hive of angry bees.

Bill Bass
Senior Applications Developer
United Health Care
Greenville, SC