>I don't know if there had really been an infected machine inside IBM, or if
>somebody outside had just successfully spoofed the
sending domain.

This is one of the problems with automated solutions!
A site as reputable as IBM should not have been blocked.
There MUST be some human over-sight.

One company I worked for put in SPAM blockers in, and then reported on the
success.
Their indicator was the number/percentage of messages blocked.
Absolutely nothing about false positives or negatives.

I review every message that is marked as SPAM and report false positives to my
service providers.

Of course, I also report the false negatives.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!