From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Gary M. Dennis
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:03 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Nice idea in blog: Should we toss x86 architecture

This was our post to the zd net blog.

"Maybe we already have.

In Q1 2009 Mantissa will deliver a system that permits unaltered Windows
operating systems to run under z/VM. Using a desktop appliance running RDC,
users will be able to connect to their virtual Windows images running in the
VM environment. Goodbye desktop hardware, remote maintenance, high power
consumption, machine order lead time.

z/VOS began with the observation that most Windows workstations do
practically nothing 95% of the time and we were so intrigued with the idea
of being able to actually run an intel-based operating system under IBM VM
that we never looked back. VM provided a natural platform for development of
this product.

The product has been a bear for the development group but the thought of
being able to run 3000 copies of Windows on one System z so fascinated the
team that we needed very little additional incentive.

Let's hope IBM can ramp up System z production."

Why wait until 2016?

Gary Dennis
Mantissa Corporation