Apologies for cross-posting. This is a second call for GIS and Critical Research
conference (February 25, 2001 - New York City).

Thank you,

Marianna Pavlovskaya
Assistant Professor
Department of Geography
Hunter College - CUNY
695 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021
Office: (212) 772-5320
Fax:  (212) 772-5268
Main office: (212) 772-5265
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
A Second Call for Papers (Pre-AAG 2001 Conference)

GIS and Critical Geographic Research (A One Day Conference)

February 25, 2001 (Sunday preceding the AAG Meeting 2001)
Department of Geography
Hunter College
The City University of New York
695 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021

Keynote speaker: Eric Sheppard
University of Minnesota

GIS and Critical Geographic Research provides a forum
for scholars and practitioners who share an interest
in developing GIS for situated inquiry and examining
geography's relationship with technology.

The conference engages critical perspectives that go
beyond critiques of GIS to show that GIS can be more
than a positivist tool and an apolitical instrument
for abstractly quantified geographies. The purpose is to show
how GIS can be engaged in a meaningful and constructive
way that enriches critical perspectives in geography.
We invite all groups, institutions and
researchers interested in these issues to attend
and present their work.

Session topics include:

Feminism and GIS
- GIS research informed by feminist and/or post-structuralist
critique of technology and science.

Body and Space
- The problem of representing the fluidity of human body
and space in GIS and new possibilities.

Politics and representation
- Political implications of GIS as a tool for representing
territories and people.

Techno-science
- Explorations of the intersections between science,
technology, and society inherent in GIS

Re-constructing GIS
- Alternative GIS-based strategies that empower
critical academic research and applications.

Authors interested in presenting a paper at the
conference should send a 500 word extended abstract
with full contact address (email address required)
by email to the conference organizers by 1 October,
2000. Please indicate "Abstract, GIS and Critical
Geographic Research" in the subject line.
Notification of acceptance will be sent by 31 October,
2000. Because of time constraints on the conference,
we will only be able to include a limited number of
presentations. However, we encourage everyone to
attend the conference and participate in all sessions.

Publication in an edited volume or journal issues is
under consideration.

There is no conference fee.

Important dates:

October 1, 2000: Deadline for abstract submission  (Please note that
        we have extended the deadline).
October 31, 2000: Notification of acceptance.
December 1, 2000: Deadline for Pre-registration (No fee but we would
        encourage a pre-registration so that we can arrange
for a conference room, breakfast and coffee breaks).
 February 25, 2001: On-site registration (No Fee).

For further information visit the conference website
or contact the Organizing Committee members :

Francis Harvey              Mei-Po Kwan             Marianna Pavlovskaya
University of Kentucky   Ohio State University  Hunter College - CUNY
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
859-257-9682 (office)     614-292-9465 (office)   212-772-5320 (office)
859-323-1969 (fax)         614-292-6213 (fax)      212-772-5268 (fax)

The conference website is located at:
http://www.uky.edu/AS/geography/gis-cgr.htm

Call2F.doc