printer but I am not happy with the output.

1. From: Larry Lass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Idrisi produces poor quality prints in all modes.  I save the current view
of the composition to a raster layer as a new Idrisi image, and export it
as a high quality tiff (300 dpi).  Use Power Point or another graphic
package to print the map.  There are a number of Idrisi functions that need
upgraded and this is close to the top of my list.

2. From: Keping Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You may be interested in producing a postscript file first and then
converting it into a vector-based map format, see http://www.square1.nl/

///////

One of the common ways to export an output composite (or Microsoft Word
document) is by generating PS or EPS files.

First you have to install a PostScript Printer Driver, such as the AdobePS
4.2. You can download such drivers from http://www.adobe.com/, or
http://www.hp.com/, or http://www.apple.com, ... When installing, you have
to specify the output as FILE, not a real printer. Each time you want to
export something, selecting the driver you installed (like selecting a
physical printer as you usually do), the output will be saved as an output
file, with a file extension of *.prn or others. The output file will be a
PS or EPS file, depending on the option you selected with the driver.

If you want to read the PS or EPS file, you can use some programs
such as GSview, ghostview, GV. For more information on GSview for Windows,
refer to http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ If you want to convert PS/EPS file
to PDF file, see http://www.adobe.com/

The PS/EPS file can be easily inserted into some Word Processors, such as
MS WROD. The real image may be not visible, but it is printable if using
POSTSCRIPT printers.

The output PS/EPS file is not impossible to convert for further editing.
One of the commercial solutions is using "The Graphics Connection" program
(http://www.square1.nl).
--------------------------------

3. From: Piz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I've found a very good help in using a program written for cartographic
design. The name is OCAD and you can find a demo version at www.ocad.com.
OCAD is mainly oriented to vector data, but it can also print a raster
template (a lot of time required, but it works).
First you must prepare, with OCAD, the symbols you will use for your map;
and you can design ANY kind of symbol for roads, buldings, interest points,
areas,.....
Then you must export by IDRISI the vector data in DXF format, each type at
a time; e.g., export roads of type 1, import them in OCAD and assign them
the OCAD symbol you designed; export roads of type 2, import in OCAD.....
and so on.
Unfortunately with the DXF export routine all the attributes are changed to
zero, this is why you must do a lot of steps.
Export the IDRISI .rst file as a .bmp file, then you can adjust by OCAD the
orientation of the .bmp according to the coordinate grid.
Take the time (half an hour) to read the OCAD help.

Thanks to all those who responded.
Vivek

Vivek K.Varma
Department of Forestry
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne, Vic. 3010
Australia

Phone: +(61) 3 8344 5238 (Work); +(61) 3 9383 3417 (Home)
FAX: +(61) 3 9349 4172
Web site: http://www.GeoCities.com/RainForest/Vines/5953/index.htm
--- End of Idrisi List message

IDRISI-L is an unmoderated list. As a service to list users, please post a
summary of useful responses to your questions.
subscribe to the list, send an email from the address to be subscribed to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with "subscribe" (without quotes) as the first line
of the message body. To unsubscribe, do the same, only with "unsubscribe"
as the first line of the message body.