Hi Frank,

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Schima, Frank <frank.sch...@nist.gov> wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2014, at 8:33 PM, Matt Newville <newvi...@cars.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Schima, Frank <frank.sch...@nist.gov> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> On Jan 9, 2014, at 8:26 AM, Matt Newville <newvi...@cars.uchicago.edu>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 8:04 AM, Bruce Ravel <bra...@bnl.gov> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 01/09/2014 08:24 AM, Stefano Luciano Ciurli wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello Bruce and thank you for your hard work!
>>> instructions to install on OS X 10.6.8?
>>>

>>> There is not a Mac package.  I do not own a Mac and and so do not have
>>> the ability to develop a Mac package on my own.
>>>
>>> Over the years, no one has ever stepped up to help me develop a Mac
>>> package for Demeter.  (Or Debian packages, or RedHat packages, for
>>> that matter.)
>>>

>>> Well, I have *tried* many times, and put a fair amount of time in
>>> getting Demeter to work on a Mac.   What I have not done is *succeed*.
>>> I can tell you that getting wxPerl to work on Mac OSX is far from
>>> simple.  Though Demeter is many years old now, and I've tried many
>>> times over the years (and I using wxPython on Mac all the time), it is
>>> only within the past few months that I have ever gotten wxPerl to
>>> actually build on any Mac, and this was a 10.8 machine.  Currently
>>> (though I haven't looked at it in more than a month), getting the
>>> Ifeffit-Perl interface to build properly with Mac OS 10.8 has me
>>> stumped, as Apple is now using llvm/clang, making it challenging to
>>> work well with gfortran.
>>>
>>> Migrating Demeter to use Larch should simplify the situation, as it
>>> would remove the need for the Ifeffit-Perl interface.
>>>
>>> Frankly, the work I do on the Windows package takes a
>>> lot of time.  The only way I can claim that time fits in my job
>>> description is because my group uses Windows machines at our
>>> beamlines.  Help would be welcome to develop packages for Mac and
>>> other platforms, but despite repeated requests over many years, no one
>>> has ever volunteered and actually seen it through to completion.
>>>

>>> Yes, help building Demeter for Mac OSX would be great.
>>>

>>> I too have put a lot of work into making Demeter run on OS X. I have been
>>> attempting to make a port of it in Macports [1] so it is easy to install
>>> and/or have a package installer created.
>>>
>>> The good news is that along the way I have successfully created a port of
>>> ifeffit [2] that builds fine for me on 10.9 and should work all the way down
>>> to 10.6. I utilize gcc for gfortran. I believe the ifeffit-perl bindings [3]
>>> work too. After you install Macports [4], you can simply type:
>>>
>>> sudo port install p5.16-ifeffit
>>>
>>> The bad news is that my in progress Demeter port does not work yet. The
>>> problem I’m stuck on is getting the perl-wx port [5] built. I have not been
>>> able to get it built with the new wx-widgets version 3.0.0 that is in
>>> Macports. The perl-wx people apparently don’t have support for that version
> [...]

I'm not opposed to any solution that might work.   I see 2 positive
features of citrusperl:
   1. it comes with wxPerl (for both wxWidgets 2.8 and 2.9, it seems)
   2. it claims to make repackaging easy, so that a single Demeter
package, similar to how Bruce distributes Demeter on Windows with
strawberryperl, might be possible.

I made some progress today.  Installing the gfortran 4.8.2 package
from http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries
allowed me to build PGPLOT (with X Windows) and Ifeffit with PGPLOT on
OS 10.8 with very little trouble (I didn't try to build PNG support -
PGPLOT is broken for this).   Demeter doesn't need PGPLOT, this was a
sign of other conflicts.

I ran into a snag building the Ifeffit-Perl interface with citrusperl
-- I believe it actually compiled the wrapper code,  but there is some
confusion between the system Perl and citrusperl.  I think this is
solvable, but might take some effort.

--Matt

PS: FWIW, I'm using the 64-bit version of citrusperl.