I've tried looking up the net time and again for pdf markup tools in
FOSS and sadly have seen none.There are closed free packages on
Windows like PDF-Xchange. The only way to do this in Linux is to
import the PDF file into GIMP/Scribus/OO and annotate. Sadly, these
are not PDF and annotations do not get saved as PDF markup elements
when exported.

The kind of annotations I'm talking of are typewriter inserts,
rectangles, oval, circles, lines, arrows, comments, link boxes etc.

Would some bright guys want to take this up under GSoC as extensions for Okular?

-- Mohan Sundaram