As everyone knows...debian is hell to install...however apt does tend to
make your job easier...i just installed debian unstable(sid) on my machine
today.
the way i did is:
downloaded first two cd's of woody and installed that...then downloaded
first two cd's of sid put them in...changed my /etc/apt/sources.list file
to add the two sid cdroms using the command:apt-cdrom add one at a time.
then i typed apt-get dist-upgrade with only the two cd's in the
sources.list.
once this was done(and this last step took quiet a while) i edited the
XF86Config file to support my monitor(getting X to work on debian is
hard)..however a better way would have been to just copy the XF86Config
file from another X install(for example your RH install) and then rename
it as /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.i also had to edit my mouse device etc. since
it did not recongnize it straight off...after having gone through all
this...i typed startx and kde 3.1.5 popped up...i gotta say...debian is
faster on my machine that any other distro i have ever
tried...SuSE,mandrake,slackware,knoppix,red hat and a couple of
others...and apt makes it just too good to resist..apt works like a dream
doing everything for you.
newayz this is how i did it...BTW i did try to install sid straight off
but that somehow did not work for me since it just gave me a console(a
bash emulator or something) and i had no idea where to go from
there...hence i took this long cut...another easy way to have sid on ur
machine is to install knoppix...it has excellent preconfiguration options
and a ton of apps all on one LIVE CD.
hope this helped.
Rishabh

--