bought a 120gb usb-ide external hardisk last month.
formatted it with the fat32 filesystem, connected it to my ubuntu feisty, and
backed up some heavy files on it.
at the end of each session, ensured i properly unmounted it before
disconnecting it.

after a few days, reconnected the drive today.
it made some grunting noises that alarmed me,
and sure enough, folders and files are missing, or icons changed.
unmounting it safely does not work anymore. 'df' shows me the device
is unmounted though.
have reconnected and remounted it several times.
but random folders and files disappear, or often nothing appears.

have checked dmesg. gives various error codes.

how do i fix the filesystem?

a few months earlier had faced a similar problem on another USB
hardisk, but managed to pin it down to a corrupt file, which once
deleted, fixed everything.
but this time the problem seems severe.
please help

TIA