--- Linux Lingam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> bought a 120gb usb-ide external hardisk last month.
> formatted it with the fat32 filesystem, connected it
> to my ubuntu feisty, and
> backed up some heavy files on it.
> at the end of each session, ensured i properly
> unmounted it before
> disconnecting it.
>
> after a few days, reconnected the drive today.
> it made some grunting noises that alarmed me,
> and sure enough, folders and files are missing, or
> icons changed.
> unmounting it safely does not work anymore. 'df'
> shows me the device
> is unmounted though.
> have reconnected and remounted it several times.
> but random folders and files disappear, or often
> nothing appears.
>
> have checked dmesg. gives various error codes.
>
> how do i fix the filesystem?

 Did you try connecting your device to a machine which
has usb 2.0 based bus ? Try connecting to a non legacy
hardware, your drive could be in pretty much good
shape or may require repartitioning at max.

regards
VK

Engineers normally have problem with every solution. If not they have  a
solution in search of a problem.

Disclaimer
distinction is yours to draw...