I would like to run an x-server on a separate virtual console
(control+alt+f12), open an x-term there, ssh to the server, and start
gnome. That should give me access to two different machines on two
virtual consoles (my local machine on ctrl+alt+f7 and remote machine
on ctrl+alt+f12).

This approach is explained on
http://www.linux-tip.net/cms/content/view/302/26/

I tried to follow instructions in this article.

The main operative steps are as follows

#Start an x-server on virtual console 12. I am able to do it though
#only by becoming root.
X :12.0 vt12 2>&1 >/dev/null &

#Start x-term on virtual console 12 and make an ssh connection. This
#command does not work for me.

xterm -display :12.0 -e ssh -X [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Would someone be able to say what is wrong with this?

I am trying to do it on my ubuntu machine.

Vikas